Friday, December 10, 2004

Seems to be Catching (I hope)

Ok folks, you may not realize this, but this is a record for me. Three blog entries in three days! I don't know that my writing is up to my standards, but we'll repair one thing at a time. Right now we're working on the "regular updates" area.

The website for Wired magazine had an online article that dealt with the online world of romantic communication. I mentioned yesterday that I wished that I had this with my wife. I thought, how interesting and timely.

The author of the online article (a woman) said of her boyfriend:

"we're different in our online writing -- funnier, braver, more intimate. I want to know that side of him, and I really notice its lack when it's missing."

I really agree. Digital writing and communication gives you a whole new perspective on a person---almost like getting more into their head. I've met people that I really got on with in a social setting, or didn't get on with as well as I would have liked but still found them to be interesting, and I really really wanted them to have a weblog so I could go home and get to know them better. All the time know that most people I meet probably don't even have any interest in reading a weblog, let alone keeping one.

The article goes on to say:

[One] reader admitted that she and her husband IM from different rooms in the same house. "Our parents and non-tech friends think we are crazy but if that's the way you've gotten used to getting your info, it works," she says.

I'd love to do that too.

When I've begun to think about Video chat, I've often wondered if it might not be as fun as text based chat---and maybe more like a video phone call (and I'm not really a phone person). There is a warmth and a charm that IM has, even when you know the person well, that you don't get with other forms of communication. In Video I worry that I might lose some of that.

Some of my friends that I have a hard time talking to are easy to chat with, but I sometimes find that people I get on really well with I have trouble making something understood on the IM (like sarcasm---it's hard if they're not in the mood for it---it's amazing how much body language plays into sarcasm).

I've heard some people argue that internet communication reduces the quality of communication---but I think it adds a whole new level. And I guess that’s why I long for it with the lady that's my best friend and companion for life.

But, as I said before, my wife is very adverse to my computer. She calls it "the other woman". Not because she's worried I'm contacting another woman using my computer that I may be having an online fling with---nothing like that (she knows that I'm much too faithful to even consider anything like that--at least I hope she does). No, in her opinion the computer IS the other woman. It is the thing that, she says, takes her husband away from her. A little dramatic perhaps. Some might say it would be more accurate to compare to a Football Widow. At any rate, I don't foresee her embracing this wonderful new potential dimension of our relationship anytime soon.

It's fairly common for Mac users to name their computers, like some people name boats or cars, or pets even. Me---no way. That would only fuel the fire. I keep my names very clinical (highly original names like "Mac HD"---woo woo). Not a very Mac like thing to do, but I have concerns to address.

I don't know if there is much hope for a time where I can flirt with my wife online---but who knows.

My mother came around and she seemed, in the early 90s, like a technological lost cause. She wouldn't touch a computer because it had that thing called a 'mouse'---and she didn't want anything to do with anything that even hinted at that type of vermin. But since then she's come to the point where she’s online about an hour a night checking email, she's the email communication person for her Miata club, and she buys gifts and makes hotel and plane reservations online. Now Dad seems to be the lost cause for the computer. But he's an antitquer ---so eBay may be the key to getting him online.

So we'll see what happens, for the wife and for Dad---anything is possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home