Thursday, March 03, 2005

Look at Me!


There is this new site I found, only a couple weeks old, called "Self Portrait Day". I first heard about it before it's launch through a photo that appeared on Dooce.com . She took a self portrait in a mirror and put a tag line of "where is your self portrait". Down in the comments to that photo, I found an entry that referred to this project. On the main Portrait Day site it tells about it's inception:

"Self-Portrait Day was born on Friday, February 11th, 2005. The idea was created after Michele happened upon a site called VeryZen. The author had posted an image she took of herself while driving to work. Michele suggested that a bunch of folks post a self-portrait to their sites on a given day. People took to the concept and the idea for a centralized site seemed worth fleshing out. After putting up an email as a way to organize the effort, the response was overwhelming. On February 16th, 2005, the first launch took place on www.mihow.com. Twenty people were featured that day. On February 24th, just one week later, the first real version of Self-Portrait Day was pushed live."

This was my week. If you like you can see the pic they used at www.selfportraitday.com. They also send five questions to answer. I thought I was brief, but seeing my post over there, it seems I was still a bit windy. But it was fun to participate.

My wife was laughing at me as I went from mirror to mirror all around the house taking pictures of myself to find one that I liked. The pic I finally decided to send in was taken in the same mirror that I used in the picture above. It's prop from a show I directed in grad school. It was a children's show based on the Hans Christen Anderson story "The Snow Queen". I liked the mirror so much that I saved it and have it hanging in my office (same one from my earlier computer photos---notice the purple walls).

Here's a picture of the whole mirror.


I'd like to get a page set-up off blog to show all my failed attempts around the house. It's kind of amusing. My new little photo by the profile link up left is a by-product of this little experiment. It's not strictly a "self" portrait because my daughter took it. But I thought it would make a good little avatar.


I like when people put pics of themselves on their blog. It's just kind of an impulse from a whole life of cultural programming that we want to see the face of the person we are interacting with. I'm trying to make this blog live up to what I enjoy seeing on other peoples weblogs. Next project: the profile.

Self-Portrait Day

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's as if I can touch that mirror. :] Thanks for participating. I love this project. I hope that others feel the same.

--mihow

11:28 AM  
Blogger Marilyn said...

Why, yes, looky you! Your profile at Self Portrait Day was sweet...nice touch, that Family Night. I HATE having my picture taken, so hate posting pictures of myself on my blog. I saw the link to the Self Portrait Day site on Heather Champ's site, but didn't check it out until I read your post. I'll have to explore some new sites to go with those faces...

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home