Friday, February 18, 2005

Everybody Sing Along. . .

I'm an admitted Burn-a-holic. A compulsive mix-tape maker, only now it's on CD. I have always loved finding new ways to put songs together back to back to achieve a new feel or effect. Of course, back in the eighties it was with the painstaking method of the dual tape deck---cuing up both tapes so they were just right and then pressing play on one side and record on the other (and the ensuing frustration when a click or some other mechanical noise ruined the transitions between the songs). I became so frustrated with all the hassle back then that I gave it up.

Enter the digital age---now it's just drag and drop, click and burn. I'm having a great time with it. I've been giving out mixes to my friends, my kids, my nephew, my friend's kids, my kids' friends, the kids in our carpool to the schools in the morning. If you make me think of a bunch of songs that would go good together, I'm on it. And with the iTunes "unlimited burn" clause, I'm doing it guilt free! In fact, it almost feels like an obligation---I'm leaving money on the table if I don't. Going through the iTunes music store, I'm paying for the rights, why shouldn't I use them.

Now enter the iPod Shuffle! Everyone has be extolling the virtues of the shuffle function for months, even years now, so I won't bore anyone----but I've been a big fan of the shuffle function on my home computer for all this time, and now it's been extended. A handy little gadget that makes the shuffle it's primary function. And I can take it one the road.

Have a peek at what the shuffle, using Autofill of course, has served up for me today (iTunes linked to let you see what strange and wonderful combinations it has created, if you like).

The last 24 tunes, in order:

Sixpence non the Richer--Us
Blue Man Group --- Above
Simon & Milo --- Get a clue
Dead Poetic ---- Dimmer Light

Shania Twain --- Rock this Country
David Bowe/Queen --Under Pressure
ZOEgirl --- Anything is Possible (Madame Lapulse Mix)
The Rasmus --- In the Shadows (Radio Edit)
Tracy Byrd ---- The Truth about Men
Shania Twain --- Man! I feel like a woman
Donny & Marie --- Deep Purple

Falling Up --- Symmetry
Michael Giacchino & Greenskeepers --- Is that Incredible
Olivia the Band --- Shut it Out
Simon & Milo --- Lonely American Nights
Phil Collins/ N*SYNC --- Trashin' the Camp (from Disney's Tarzan Soundtrack)
O-Zone --- Ma Ya Hi (Valentin Club Mix)
Raven --- This is My Time (from the Princess Diaries II Soundtrack)
P.O.D. --- Image
Oingo Boingo --- Weird Science
P.O.D. --- Hollywood
Lateef & The Chief --- Don't Stop
Chopin --- Minute Waltz
Barenaked Ladies --- Another Postcard


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home