Monday, July 31, 2006

Where did that come from. . .

My two oldest occasionally have these kismet moments where, totally separately, they will get on some kick at the same time. Like the common object art moment when Robo informed me he was going to build a chainmail shirt out of paperclips this winter, and after I left that announcement and went into my daughter's room, she told me how she thought it would be cool to create a modern art sculpture by covering one wall of her room in plastic spoons.

It happened again the other night. We were sitting at our new dinner table (Did you catch that--"new" dinner table! Thanks mom and dad!) and Robo, fresh back from spending the night at a friends house starts humming a quiet little tune while he was waiting for the food to be served. I caught a bit of it and it sounded familiar.

"Hey Robo, what are you humming."

"Don't stop believing by Journey."

"Journey!??"

"Yeah, I love that song."

Apparently he and his friend had gotten an old 80s concert video and listened to Steve Perry belt it out all evening.

That same afternoon Kitten returned home from spending the night with a cousin. After telling me various fun things she had done on her stay she looks at me and says,

"Oh, yeah, and Dad. . .I want to get my hair cut like Pat Benatar in the 'Love is a Battle field' video."

"What?? Pat Benatar?? Where the heck did you run across Pat Benatar?!"

Apparently she had watched the movie "13 going on 30" (where Jennifer Garner plays the cutest little girl trapped in a grown-ups body every put on film), and in that movie there is a part where she quotes from that song to young girls when she's telling them what life is all about.

So Kitten and her cousin went immediately to YouTube to find the video for that song. And that's where she fell in love with the hair. And the clothes. Ah, the internet---where bringing back the past is just a click away.

It should really suit her now that she's growing her hair out from her last hair cut. Now with Robo sporting a style that looks like something from the cast of "Friends" playbook, I can see a lot of Gel in our future.

That's why the flashback New Release Tuesday below. Enjoy.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kitten said...

Whatever. The hair is awsome, and you know it ;P I think i'm going to scare a few people at the high school when I walk in on the first day totaly 80-fied, though.

3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you told Kitten that we are all embarrassed about those 80's fashions now, and she will be too one day? (ah, i guess it's no use; we didn't listen then either. i too was a victim. damn those flashdance sweatshirts ...)

We are young, heartache to heartache we stand ... no promises, no demands. (ah, the deep-i-osity still gets me ...) ;)

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home