Sunday, February 24, 2008

To paraphrase Ghostbusters. . .

"When someone asks you if you want a 36" t.v.---you say YES!"

This week, my parents will be getting an LCD flatpannel, so today we became the proud inheritors of their old 36" tube TV! An unexpected event that spawned much happy-dancing.

It is, of course, dramatically larger than anything we've had before. Too large, in fact, to even fit into our living room entertainment center. Even in our planning for the future we never saw a day when we'd get into something like this.

So far, when all the kids have come into the 'playroom' (where we ended up putting it), the first thing out of their mouths is 'woah'.

It is an unbelievable upgrade over the little 19" they had attached to the Playstation. Lemur even made note that now the Star Wars Legos game is several times bigger on the screen than actual Leggos.

In other news. . .

After I hooked everything up, the little Bear was primed for an outing. The place he wanted to go? The place of greatest adventure in his mind? Wal-Mart.

But an odd thing, happened. When we pulled into the Wal-Mart parking lot, he immediately broke into tears. I know many socially active folk have done the same, but for him it's different. He at first wouldn't even allow me to say that it was in fact Wal-Mart we were parked in front of. When he gave to that point, seeing as I wouldn't concede it, he then went on about how this wasn't the Wal-Mart he wanted to go to. But it's the only one we have. So, I asked him, where was this other Wal-Mart he wanted to go to. He said he wanted to go to the Wal-Mart in the sky, pointing his little index finger to the roof of the car.

The Wal-Mart. In the sky.

I have no idea.

Sounds like some sort of Texas metaphor. It will be of those mysteries that dies with the universe. So we headed back home. Which was fine with me.

That's where the Wal-o-Video was.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

. . . the walmart in the sky is where all of the minimum wage walmart employees go when they shed their mortal coil . . . i hear they get all the organic vegan snacks their little hearts desire, 24-7 reflexology and aromatherapy massage, a free puppy and kitten per entrant, bottom vanilla cake with white buttercream icing, and four bubble-making machines. (the latter is probably what the bear was after :)

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

erm, i meant bottem*less* cake, not bottom cake, for which i hope and pray was not a freudian slip on my part :)

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Great Big Walmart in the Sky ... damn, that sounds like it should be a song.

As for your Wal-o-Video, I totally relate to the slow move toward tech-compliance. (or non-compliance ...) If there's something I want to see on TV when I won't be around to watch it, I still use my trusty VCR (that's actually pretty rare, but TCM's recent "month of oscars" flics had me programming a fair bit). My friends bust my chops that I don't "TIVO" ... but I will not go gently into that tech night ... no sir. :)

8:45 PM  
Blogger Marilyn said...

Awwww... That's so...poignant.

6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home