Monday, August 08, 2005

5 in '05 Flashback



This months "5 photos on the 5th in '05" entry is a little bit of a cheat. And it's late--again. Seems to be the rhythm. Oh well.

At any rate, it's a cheat because two of the pics will be out of the archive, meaning from my past. Not taken on the 5th this year, hence the infringement. But it's done to make a point. You see, a lot of things happen with my family that I wouldn't have envisioned as I began my married life back in college. I never would have anticipated a child good at math, one that was naturally athletic and outdoorsy, and I wouldn't have pictured myself working in the finance department of an internet company.

But one thing that I did think might just happen, and even hoped for, has happened. My whole family is in love with 'Chucks'---canvas Converse high tops endorsed by the historic basketball legend Chuck Taylors.

I posted this first picture because it's one of the few college photos that shows my feet. And there they are---one of my 8 pair that I had in college. Yeah, I had me some hair in those days. It was at the height of 80's hair band metal, you must remember. Be kind.

At any rate, these Chucks were extra tall and folded down (the yellow part that you see there is the lining folded down). I had this pair, a pair in yellow, aqua, black, white, raw canvas, all black (black with black laces and rubber), and a zebra striped pair that glowed in the dark. I used to mix and match them too. I'd wear an aqua on the left and yellow on the right---or a black and white combo, or black and yellow. I've never had so much fun with shoes before or since.

This picture is also to prove wrong those people who would say that those shoes are of a color that doesn't exist in nature. Matches that bush in the fall pretty exactly in my estimation. The baby is my little girl back in 1990, not even just a few months old. I'm making that face to mimic her cry. She just wouldn't be happy for the picture. My wife behind the camera snapped it at that moment.

This next pic is of me and the little lady napping on my father in law's sofa when he was still alive. My daughter is the only grandchild from our family he saw before he passed away. My wife and I still lament this from time to time. He would have loved and had such fun with all of them.

(I'm the one in orange sneakers.)



Then, almost 15 years later the torch is passed. My daughter shows up after a day of shopping with her grandma, and guess what she picked out!



Of course, the brother is immediately jealous. So grandma gets word that he would love to be in the market for some Chucks, and they return after a Saturday at the shoe store with multiple pairs in tow.






Even the little guy gets a pair--and with flames no less. And yes, Dad is back in action too.



It's funny---they kids were as excited about me having a pair as they were about their own new shoes. It was a crazy sight for them, seeing their dad in sneakers. I thought this was so strange. It's only been since I started working full time and supporting a family after college that I haven't worn anything but leather shoes and boots. Then I realized, to me that's only been a few years---but for them it's been their whole lives. Or at least the parts they remember vividly. So to them this seems like the first time I've worn sneakers in real life ever.

We didn't get them for the baby boy because they are just a little to expensive for that, and the wife doesn't like them much, so she didn't care for a pair for herself. She wore them once in a play and didn't like the way they felt. I, however, have never seen her in more attractive shoes. In my book I don't put much stock in the fancy red dress and strappy heels----but put my woman in jeans, a white T-shirt and black Chucks and that is HOT, I'm telling ya! (I'll post that pic of her in the play if I can ever find it.)

Not everyone feels that way about such an outfit, but in my estimation a woman can't get more attractive. Unless she also wears wrist bands and bracelets and has extreme hair color. I realize I'm a bit out of the norm when it comes to what I find attractive.

You can also see our new carpet and my haircut from this pics as well, if you were so interested and wondering.

Well, yesterday I took my daughter to visit an open class for the Japanese language course at the community college. She enjoyed it and is more excited than ever.

And today I'm off to go camping again with Robo. And it's going to rain all weekend. Perfect.

Please enjoy some civilization for me this weekend.

If you need me, I'll be appreciating all the discomforts that the last 100 years of progress have removed from our daily lives.

But all for the love of a boy, so I guess it's worth it.


5 Comments:

Blogger Joe S. said...

Ok this is not spam!!! Really :).

Nice photos! Don't worry about the cheat part. It's always nice to catch them.

Peace bro!

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't that funny that your kids don't associate you with your favorite shoes...until now? :) Nice haircut, by the way.

6:35 PM  
Blogger katiescarlet said...

I figured out how to change the links!!! I still need help with the 100 things off to the side tho.

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm ... spam about timber stocks ... now that's a new one.

Great pics, Will, especially the first one! (I thought that was a photographer's background at first, by the way). I'm thinkin' from all the smiling faces that the family that wears Chucks together sticks together ... now you just have to work on your wife ... maybe tell her you'll renovate the kitchen if she wears a pair :-)

5:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE those photos.

My ex-husband (who remains one of my best friends in the world) wore orange hitops with his blue suit at our wedding. I've always thought they were about the sexiest damn shoes known to man.

My, what good taste you have. ;)

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home