Monday, January 16, 2006

When you wish. . .

Well, last Tuesday was the MacWorld Keynote. That's the annual event where Mr. Steve Jobs makes the product announcements that is going to sort of set the tone for tech in the new year. Or at least that what's happened the last few years. Now it's not like this a religious thing for me---it's more like following a sports team. Or like watching world champions play chess. It's exciting in that sort of plodding way that involves the less visceral parts of the brain and gives a slow motion savoring of glacial change that's set to have a profound impact. The challenger moves a piece. Such a small piece, and only a few squares. How important can that be. It doesn't raise many eyebrows, but the observant notice beads of sweat forming on the otherwise stoic face of the world champion. Something significant happened here.

That's what MacWorld was like this time. Nothing the papers could splash headlines about, but a die was definitely cast. The first Intel Macs were brought out, and ahead of schedule. The rest of the year will be about moving all the other Macs over to Intel. The Intel processor switch made headlines last year when it was announced, but this year, when the products actually come out as expected, is when the trickle starts wearing away at the rock. In the next few months, if you follow the tech blogs, is when you'll see people start to triple boot off of one machine--An Apple. Three machines in one, Linux, Windows and Apple. And if you can do that, why would you want any other machine that could be more limiting. The tech fringes will be effected fist. Then slowly it will move inward.

And the buzz on the streets is that Apple didn't even make their biggest announcements at MacWorld. Seems that there may be headline shattering products waiting in the wings, but a forecast Intel chip supply problem kept them from all being unveiled. But the word is that it's going to be big. Like left field, didn't see that one coming big.

But even with all this going on in sunny CA, it was dwarfed and virtually swept aside by something that happened Tuesday afternoon in my personal life. That afternoon, Tuesday January 10, my wife called me and spoke words that would forever change my life.

Sexy, beautiful words that I have been waiting for years to hear.

"Honey, can you help me get on the Internet?"

If you had looked toward the Midwest at that moment and were in this hemisphere, I believe truly that you would have seen the fireworks.

Oh man. When I said just a few short posts ago that 2006 had something in store, I had no idea. There have been a few things in my life that I had desired to see happen, that I had lobbied for because I felt compelled to do so, but secretly in my mind felt that there was little to no chance that they would happen. And then when it did, I stood there as slack jawed and flabbergasted as the harshest cynics, eyes glazed, just overwhelmed at the wonderful wonder of it all---when the wall fell in Berlin, when Aparthide fell is South Africa and Nelson Mandela assumed the highest leadership position in that country without bloodshed, capitalist economies is Russia and China, and now this.

Glory, Halalulijah, seems things are still unfolding in this Universe as they should. Heavens be praised. Ok, maybe I'm getting a little hyperbolic here. Have to remember that my wife reads my blog now (did you hear that---my wife READS MY BLOG! Have you even had those moments where you just can't stop smiling?). She actually asked me the other night while she was reading my blog if she could correct me on details in my retelling. That made me scowl for a moment. I've thought about it though, and I've decided she can----but only in my comments. Hear that honey, you can't just tell me ---leave it in the comments, baby. When Keroni and Mark had their blogs they would have conversations in the comment section and I always thought that was so cool.

But I'm getting a little ahead of things.

That afternoon I talked her through starting an email account, showed her how to send and email and search for things on google. The kids were so thrilled and impressed when they got home and heard the news. Robo even jumped on the computer right away so he could send his mom an email, so she'd have something in there to read. And last night another break through---chat! We downloaded the Yahoo chat software and when she put in her ID, she already had a friend invitation there waiting for her from her friend in Iowa. I was on the laptop on the sofa beside her working on a spreadsheet for the reunion, and she was just laughing and laughing as she tried to keep up with her three finger typing. iTunes stayed put away, I had all the music I needed (sappy I know, but let me revel). She experienced that getting lost that sometimes happens as she looked up at 11 and realized that she'd been on-line for two hours.

So just remember, there seems to still be a little magic out there, over the rainbow and on a shooting star. Keep believing. Who knows, the impossible might just be closer than you think.

Maybe she'll become a headbanger next.

Or maybe I should just enjoy the moment and not spoil it.

Ok, yeah, I'll do that.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe I'll still get that pony yet ...

Oh, the hours and hours of fun she'll have now! Woohoo!

5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

- that is so awesome! next you know, she'll be vidblogging :)

5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YYYEEEAAAHHH KIMMY!!! YOU GO GIRL

MOM MAR

7:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, you made me laugh so I had to post. Here I was reading the beginning of your post about the MacExpo and thinking I really need to get these two together (my husband and you) and then your wife part of the post; well that just cracked me up.

The funny thing is I used to get so mad at Marc for butting into my blog and making remarks that I almost forbid him to read it. But then again, it was nice that he was even interested.

Maybe someday when life isn't as hectic I'll get my blog back up. Keep up yours, I love it!!

PS - It's Karoni but you can call me Keroni ;O)

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Will, as the song say: If your heart is in your dreams, NO request is too extreme. Congratulations! (and happy family surfing!)

I've missed seeing you post more regularly - and (through some fluke - which i'm sure you would diagnose as PC related [if you had a mac deb, you wouldn't have had the problem]) I have been unable to comment on blogs for the past 3+ weeks. Nice to see you back AND be able to connect again too.

(i'm in the market for a laptop; any suggestions?) ;)

3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home