Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Things I think about. . .

Blogger and Flickr.  One of the truly excellent symbiotic relationships of high profile internet services.  A shining example of where two fantastic and successful internet brands come together to give each other greater value to the user, while increasing the user base and value for each individual company.  The companies win.  The consumer wins.  A great grand gold star for consumer driven capitalism and collaboration on the internet.

 

Except now Flickr has been bought by Yahoo, and Blogger has been absorbed by Google.  Google and Yahoo---two fierce competitors in the middle of a pitched battle for internet clicks and eyeballs.  Now joined at the at the hip like a Montague/Capulet Siamese twin.  How long can that last?  Yet if either is the fist to pull out of the arrangement it would be like taking a leaf blower to a house of cards made of dollar bills.   Talk about cutting off your nose. . .

 

I think about other things, too.  I just wonder why no one is talking about this.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

But hasn't Blogger been owned by Google for years? I did find it a bit disturbing yesterday trying to set up a new Flickr account and having to enter one of my Yahoo ID's to do so. :)

I really just stopped by to say: Happy Thanksgiving to you and the family!

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm ... I don't use either, which might explain why I haven't thought about that conundrum ... although that usually doesn't stop me.

Like Marilyn, I also wanted to wish you and the family a wonderful Thanksgiving (... even if I am a day late!)

5:31 AM  
Blogger katiescarlet said...

I have to say, I had no idea who owned what or when! But, while I was working at a bookstore, the biggest shipper of books, Ingram went up for sale. B&N bought it. and Borders felt they "didn't need to" it turned out they were right. Borders is doing just fine. Mergers and buyouts are often not as bad as people think
Hope you had a freat holiday!

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home