Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Mr. Cellophane

So it's done. I cut my hair. People ask me why, and now I'm not sure. It just wasn't behaving. It's getting too thin on top, but then it's still think and poofy on the sides. My wife said it looked like a bad perm. Not like it was in college, a thick all over mane I could comfortably hide behind while making my self unique at the same time. The internal struggle of being an introverted extrovert, or an extroverted introvert. Something like that. At any rate, it's gone now. My mother is thrilled. I feel, well, kind of nondescript.

I put on a favorite jacket today because it's getting kind of chilly. It's a vintage WWII Esienhower jacket. My wife made me change. Apparently, I'm not twenty anymore and that makes dressing in an interesting jacket inappropriate. My mom, as I said, is glad the hair is gone, because she says that I don't look like someone hanging onto my youth anymore. So, if I'm understanding correctly, aging means that you need to blend in so completely as to become invisible. Fly that biege flag high.

Almost seems Darwinian theory has so saturated our thinking, that they worry I'll draw predatory attention to myself being so different from the herd, and I can't run to escape like I used to. Leave that to the stronger and more agile pubescent bucks.

I guess my resolve doesn't hold much these days against peer pressure, since I've succumb. People talk about peer pressure being so oppressive when you're in high school and the like. At almost 40, it's a crushing force. Or maybe I'm just get too tired to swim upstream anymore.

So if you hear a small squeak of a whisper late at night, don't worry. It's just me disappearing.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I beg to differ ... and to add another perspective to the mix.

You are not disappearing. (and if you are, stop right now!) There is no need to disappear.

You cut your hair. And you had reasons for doing it that had nothing to do with slinking off into the sunset.

And your mom is happy. Fine. (isn't it nice to make your folks happy so easily?)

But here's the thing - you are still Will, the unique and fabulous CyberJazzDaddy. The flag is not beige. Screw that. Beige schmaige. Your flag is multi-colored and FAR from fading. Methinks it's tie dyed with all the brilliant colors of you. Wave that flag. Wave it wide and high.

xo D

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

. . . dude - run, go get your eyebrow pierced, dye your hair pink, do SOMETHING :) What? Oh, yeah, I did just shave my pits while on vacation with the family when we went to the beach, but really, it was so as to keep thier drama and outrage and harping to a minimum . . . really . . . that is different . . . isn't it???? Yeah, well, I'm letting it grow back in so in a couple of weeks it'll be business as usual :) Down With beige! Viva la Peuce! :)

1:17 PM  
Blogger katiescarlet said...

You will never "disappear" or blend in to the world as the color beige. It's not your hair that makes you unique or special!!

Love
and God bless
KatieScarlett

3:32 PM  
Blogger Shelley Noble said...

Not at all, I've seen MANY wonderfully hip, attractive men at ages --eeeks-- 50 and above. How you may ask? Why, because they were hip and modern and youthfully-minded and it simply comes out in every way, including clothing, hair, etc. Not juvenile mind you, there's a huge difference between unique and expressive and trying to be 20. Dig?

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well at least grace us with a photo of the new you, wouldja?! I say we should all do exactly what feels right to us, regardless of the date on our birth certificates. :)

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best site

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best site

9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best site

9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best site

9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home