Wednesday, November 01, 2006

So, Here goes. I'm in. I thought of it before I even knew it existed, so I was in before I knew I was in. But I've made some noise around about it so I'm in for real now. Jumping in to the NaBloPoMo, the "blog post per day during November club thing", no looking back now. Lord help us all.

For the uninitiated, NaBloPoMo is a November online gang up and get together to do something just for the heck of it movement like NaNoWriMo (where people try to commit to writing a novel in a month because they always wanted to write that novel and have been putting it off) and ArtEveryday (which was a spin off of NaNoWriMo for artists who would try to create something artsy each day and put it on their blog). Both of them have a community of people who will contribute and also go around and support others who are getting involved. Little online clubs in asynchronous time. The perfect club for me (where I didn't have to make time and find a sitter to be able to attend), and yet, in years past I haven't jumped in because I'm not ambitious enough nor do I have time enough to do either of those. So this year I was just purposing myself that I would Frankenstien the two together just for myself and have a Post everyday for the month of November thing, just for me. And I no sooner had that thought than I was over on the blog of the wonderful Kate, and saw that this year it's actually a real deal happening! Fussy decided that she would organize this little endeavor. And she's giving away prizes! Haven't quite figured out how you go about positioning yourself to win, but anything with prizes has a much more party hat and confetti feel to it.

The name NaBloPoMo is kind of unfortunate though. I realize they were trying to keep with the homage to the original, but it's so obviously another Net word/phrase that was composed and repeated into common usage before anyone said it out loud in front of the marketing guys. Try telling someone who isn't Net savvy that you're doing NaBloPoMo all month long, and they're bound to to step back about 16 inches and have a pained look on their face that tells you that they are thinking how life didn't prepare them for this moment. For me, on the screen it kind of seems like a prayer for bloggers with low self image and a southern accent; "Lord, please don let my Blog Po Blo Na Mo."


I don't know that my blog posts will be any more insightful or poetic with this level of demand, but it will force me to think smaller and make more concise posts.

At any rate, this has been the obligatory first Meta post talking about what I'm going to be doing instead of just doing it. One down, twenty nine to go!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

. . . i'm so glad you're doing this too . . . 30 days of CJD goodness is a lovely thing to look forward to this month . . . and I figure the worst that happens is that we end up blogging one sentence. Don't you get the feeling that this is going to be revealing in some interesting way? . . . what happens when you don't really get the opportunity to hit the edit button too much :)

5:36 AM  
Blogger katiescarlet said...

I am so glad you are doing this! Have fun! I will enjoy reading the posts!

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You?? Posting EVERY day?? Can't wait! ;)

5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey! i'm in too, thanks to kate. and i also think the title is a bit of a mouthful (i've only tried to say it out loud once) and a handful (i've only typed it about twice and have already given up trying to do the frickin' capital letters - it's nablopomo to me now).

7:39 PM  
Anonymous Francis said...

Appreciate your bllog post

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home