Friday, March 16, 2007

Joy of Bears

My daughter went to state speech yesterday.

She was, I found out later, the only one from her school's team without family representation at the meet. I totally didn't know that fans were welcome. Nothing was said, and in my day having spectators wasn't a thing that was done for these events. Not unless it was someone else on the team watching you. Certainly not family.

She text messaged me: "If I make finals, will you get me gummi bears!"

I replied: "You're on!"

I guess things didn't go so well. Later that day I got a meek little text message:

"Can I still have bears?"

I arrived home late last night, long after everyone was asleep. I snuck into her room and put the bag of little squishy candy bears on her nightstand and kissed her forehead.

So big, but thankfully, still my little girl.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you just hate that--that you find out later you could have been there for her? At our school they're really mean about that stuff...they won't even let parents in to watch their kids perform in assemblies or talent shows. Weird, huh? You're such a good Dad...Gummi bears and all.

7:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home