Thursday, January 18, 2007

Woah, look at that drop. . .

We're at the crest of the first hill of roller coaster 2007. Just a quick note to say that I'm here, and I'll be writing again soon, just don't be concerned if I don't get a chance to for a while. I'll try to stop in for some cheat posts here and there (Youtube and stuff) just for good measure.

In the meantime, here are some pictures to show you how I spent New Years.

Christmas week was spent with 2 days of celebration, then I had 2 days of sick. Kind of sums up the year. Serious ups, and serious downs. I can't say I was sad to see the year go. I'm ready for a clean slate. I seriously experienced some of the lowest emotional points I ever have in my life last year, and it's taken me all this time to dig out. I can't quite explain it, and can't point to something that even I understand as being significant enough on paper as to what would cause it. I'm still trying to figure out that part. But emotionally, I know that I am on the other side now, ready to pick up and plod forward.

At any rate, on New Years we went to my brother's house about 3 hours west. The drive was slushy and yuck most of the way but we were making good time. Then, about 15 miles away the ice got seriously bad. We slowed down more and more with each car off the road we passed. By the time we saw an over turned semi-truck we were down to about 10 mph. That last leg of the trip took over 45 min, and my wife did her best to hide wiping her eyes as she silently cried the whole rest of the way.

We were much happier when we were finally safe in my brother's house. We did a gift exchange with them that night (because they were with the other side of the family on Christmas day this year) and went snugly to bed. We woke up the next morning in time to be greeted by a power outage. It was crazy as the kids looked at all of their electric powered gifts they'd just received(movies, video games, music and other things you plug in the walls) and didn't know what to do. The outlook seemed grim. But slowly board games were discovered and we had a kind of old fashioned family gathering that in the end even the kids themselves appreciated, commenting that if the power hadn't gone out, we probably wouldn't be all together in the kitchen like this.

Then, almost like a prompt from a Hallmark script to prove this point, the power came back on and after much cheering, the group fragmented to all corners of the house to plug in the new gifts and play back in the 21 Century.

When I helped my brother clear the ice from his driveway the next morning, two hockey playing kids from down the block were able to ice skate down the middle of the street to see what we were doing. I have honestly never seen ice like this. On his lawn each individual blade of grass was encased in a little clear cocoon till it was about the size of an adult thumb. With their rounded tops it looked like the entire groomed lawn had been replaced by glass marbles.

I hear lots of other parts of the country are getting this kind of treatment too. Check out pictures from the weekend that people took from around the area here.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just hope this whole year isn't gonna be full of freaky weather. It was a little depressing last week when the front-page headline in our local paper screamed that our summer temps will be scorching! Wha...WHAT?! I'm still trying to THAW OUT! Here's to a GOOD 2007!

4:03 PM  
Blogger Maddy said...

By the by - how come I can't get your 'i like' to work - do I have a firefox malfunction, or is it simply that my brain is too small?
Cheers dearies

8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wishing you and the brood a warm hearted, ice-free, happy, healthy, love-filled, year with few to no bumps in the road. :)

7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home