Friday, June 06, 2008

The Angel Ascends

You may or may not know, but my daughter has been budding as a young singer/songwriter for almost a couple of years now. We knew that she was interested in singing and could play the piano, but one day before her 16th birthday I came home from work and she and her mother eager ushered me over to the piano where she was going to perform a song that she had made up.

I allowed myself to be pulled along with a grin on my face that said I was glad to hear her song and that I was preparing to be fatherly proud, like I was with all the drawings on our fridge. She sat down and played a song that had been inspired by a boy from school who didn't return her affections (sometimes a person might think that boys were invented so girls would write music and poetry). The song was called TimBurton Romance. And when it was over I was speechless. It was much more than I had expected.

At that point, I must admit, I went into a bit of a depression for a couple of days. I was unprepared for her to cross over from kid to artist so quickly and unexpectedly. I kind of felt like she had something there and I suddenly wouldn't have anything to offer her any more---that she would have out grown me. Of course, all this was unfounded and she's been great for having me along still. I just had to make the transition from daddy/teacher to artist/collaborator, and it's been quite a ride.

She made her debut at her 16th birthday where we hooked a keyboard into the DJs sound system that was playing for our backyard party. It was a Tim Burton themed costume party, so everyone was dressed up as a character from a Tim Burton Movie. She had not played her song for anyone before this point, keeping it a secret, and when she was done, all her friends exploded with cheers. They were all as impressed as I had been. A true rock star moment.

Now, a year and half and a whole roster of new songs later, she is blossoming again. A few weeks ago she put up an artist page on myspace---and was discovered (after a fashion). A least enough to get offered a spot on the roster at the popular indi underground concert space in Omaha. She's joined up with her brother on drums and a friend who just moved back on bass--and now she has her first "pro" gig on July 17th!

They call themselves Sami Angel (Sami pronounced saw-me---it's a nickname that she got in high school from friends who believed it to be the word in Japanese for 'innocent'. She later found out when taking a class in Japanese that it really doesn't mean anything in any language, but she kept it all the same).

Check them out at myspace.com/samiangelmusic. She has some samples of her music up there (just keep in mind that these are basement tape demo grade samples at the moment--we're working on getting more fully polished versions posted).

Oh, and don't forget to 'friend' her if you have a myspace page. :-)

2 Comments:

Blogger katiescarlet said...

wow! So awesome for her!

love to all

sending an email re trip to NE.

btw, I love the date for her first pro gig...it has significance for me too ; )

God bless

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW. What a voice! How fabulous.

And how sweet/real to hear you reveal how unprepared you were for her "cross over" from kid to artist. (she'll always be your little girl. trust me, at 47, daddy's still got a special place in this big girl's heart) :)

Hugs,

Deb

7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home