Thursday, February 03, 2005

Soundtrack for my life

Well, seeing as this week (on Feb. 1) in 1949, the RCA Record Company released the first single record which played at 45 revolutions per minute, I thought I'd talk a little about music. You may have guess that I love my tunes with all my iPod talk. I found this music meme on Kat's site and thought it looked fun.

So, on with the meme. I've linked these to iTunes so if you have that installed on your computer you can listen in to what I'm listening to. If you want.

If you don't have iTunes yet, what are you waiting for? Download it here --- its Free!

Random 10 (iTunes shuffle)
1. One Thousand Miles --Vanessa Carlton
2. Spy Hunter --- Project 86
3. I Am Understood? --- Relient K
4. Through the Black --- Demon Hunter
5. Over It --- Halo Friendlies
6. Untitled, Anonymous --- Everyday Sunday
7. Under the Sun --- The Swift
8. Hindsight --- Pillar
9. Beautiful Glow --- Rock 'n' Roll Worship Circus
10. Ordinary --- TFK

What is the total amount of music files on your computer? 17 GB and another 1.5 GB on my laptop that I still have to move over.

The last cd you bought is: UmHmm by Relient K (As an iTunes Music store purchase)

What is the last song you listened to before this message? SmashMouth from the Shrek soundtrack - I'm a Believer (on LaunchCast)

Write down five songs you often listen to or that mean a lot to you:
I took these off a list I made of the songs that most remind me of my wife. I'll explain the stories behind each choice below---if you're interested.

1. REO Speedwagon --- Can't fight this feeling anymore
2. Van Morrison --- Moondance
(This link is to the right song, different artist. iTunes didn't have Van Morrison.)
3. Enya ---- Storms in Africa
4. Randy Travis ---- Forever and ever, Amen
5. Stryper --- Holding On

Here are the stories:

1. This one was kind of funny. I met my wife in high school when I was a junior and she was a senior. We weren't romantic or anything in high school, she was my best friend. But my other good male friend and I were kind of in an unspoken competition to win the favor of her affections. This, even though she had, at that time, a long distance boy-friend out of town.

On my wife's 18th Birthday, this friend of mine decided we could organize a surprise birthday party complete with importing her out of town boyfriend and spring him on her at the party. He was still trying to get on her good side and seemed to think that getting her together with her boyfriend would make her so happy that she would like him better. Strange strategy, I know. But we pulled off this birthday plan just like that and she loved it.

While her boyfriend was in town, he took us out cruising in his cool muscle car that he drove into town with. At one point this REO song came on the radio and my friend and the boyfriend started singing it at the same time under their breath. It was my impression that they were both quietly singing it to my future wife. Then it was like they realized that the other one was singing it, and so not to be out done they both start singing louder and louder. Finally they are both wailing this song out opposite open windows of this cool car cruising around the square, seemingly so the other won't realize what they are actually singing for.

I just sat beside her in the back seat and marveled at all the goings on. She was oblivious to the whole thing, she tells me.


2. Moondance made the list because one summer night when the temperature was just perfect after dark, my wife came home from shopping for groceries. She rushed into the house and grabbed me and took me back out to the driveway. She said that this song was on the radio and she wanted to dance in the moonlight. So we put up the hatch on the back of the mini-van and danced in the combined light from the moon and the van's domelight, right there in the drive.


3. The month after we were married we moved in together in my wife's apartment in the basement of this old converted house. We had just purchased this Enya CD and really liked it so we listened to it every night at dinner. This song will forever remind me of the love of being newly married, the evening slant of sunlight through the windows, and Rice-a-roni.


4. This was a song that I learned the words to so I could surprise my wife and sing it to her as we had our first dance as a married couple at our wedding reception. She was very touched because I'm not a country music person as a rule. But the lyrics were completely true for me and still are to this day.


5. This was my wife's sweet concession to me for our wedding. After we were pronounced man and wife, this was the music we came back down the isle to. It's an 80's hair band metal power ballad. If you don't click on anything else to listen to it, click on this one just to see how inappropriate it was to be screaming through this proper church filled with it's wooden pews and long robes. But man, it was sooooo cool.



AND NOW. . .A RANT (for those still listening)

Since the inception of the iTunes music store there has been a bit of a controversy about the idea of buying music by the song. It is the concern of bands who have in essence boycotted iTunes by keeping their music off the service. They have justified their stance saying that musicians are artists whose artistic efforts will be undermined by the masses and not allowed to produce albums that are tailored as a whole entity, not just a collection of songs. On this week, with the 45rpm record turning 56, I like to ask if this segment of the industry has forgotten that the best concept albums came out in the 60s and 70s when the buying of songs as "singles" was at it's height? Were the last 20 years such a brainwash that they have lost track of that part of music history? And all their combined efforts have not produced albums as cohesive as say a "Yellow Submarine" or "The Wall". So what I have to say is stop whining and get your music on iTunes. What are you, allergic to money? You're spurning a distribution channel. Wake up! (Yeah, like they're listening) And what is up with this? People befuddled by youth wearing headphones? People have been doing that since the premier of the Sony Walkman, for crying out loud. Some people need to really re-assess what's new, what new and what they just need to learn to put up with. At least we're not seeing Boom-box wars on the street like in the 80s, where the biggest, loudest portable speakers prevailed. Those have moved into cars.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I love that Enya cd. It's wonderful to paint to or relax to or sleep to on a rainy night. :-)

And I agree with you about the whole itunes fiasco. Musicians should be grateful for it. It's been a great way to purchase music and listen to music. Silly people.

-kat

8:56 AM  
Blogger Marilyn said...

I feel like such a dork. And to think I live with a MUSICIAN! I have NO tunes on my (our) laptop...I don't know what he has on it. I can't imagine owning an IPod--I'm just not big on being plugged in. If I listen to music, I like to turn off the TV, turn on the stereo and let it fill the room, rather than just my ears. I desperately miss LIVE music (the kind I like anyway...I've heard enough calypso here to last me 10 lifetimes) but really don't listen to music that much anymore. It's so QUIET where we live. When I'm home alone (and he's at a gig), I often just like to listen to the QUIET. Yeah, I know. Shit. I'm old. :)

2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home