Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Bottlecaps, Bottlecaps, Everywhere!

Ok, so we’re half way(ish) through the Pepsi/iTunes bottle cap promotion. You know, the one where the yellow bottle caps give you a code that gets you a free song download on iTunes.

As I mentioned before, I go nuts on this stuff. This year I hooked up with a guy here at work that goes around the building retrieving empty pop bottles for the recycling deposit return that he can get for them. Makes a little extra money. I hooked up with him to get the caps, and it’s been working great. He was bringing me about 40 a week or so. It was a brilliant set up.

But then he came to me last week and gave me the sad news (sad for me, that is). His kids had caught him with all the bottle caps. They had a bit of a hard time understanding how he was not passing the caps on to them, but instead passing them to some guy at work. So he apologized and said that he wouldn’t be able to bring me anymore because he’d be giving them to his kids. Disappointing, but understandable. I’d do the same thing in his position. He’s a good guy and a good dad.

(Actually, I kind of am in his position---I have lots of caps but I’m still not giving them to my kids. I’m keeping them for myself! But I do burn a copy of everything I download for the kids---so it’s kind of the same as giving them the caps, I just do all the legwork. It’s nice that we all like the same music).

So anyway, for me that meant going back to digging in the trash myself. Hey, I’m not proud. This is tunes were talking about here.

But not to worry, the Lord does provide. It’s funny, after that one supply disappeared, I started getting winning caps at lunch on my own bottles a little more frequently. Also, people started bringing them to me. Maybe it was my desperation there. I started walking up to people and in conversation I’d throw in a, “So, couldn’t help noticing that your drinking a yellow cap Pepsi there. . .If you don’t mind me asking, what ‘cha got under the cap on that one.”

But before you shake your head in sadness at my pathetic myopic obsessions, just consider how much more normal you feel by comparison. See, I serve a purpose in the universe. I am the cosmic contrast by which you can now see your own silver lining---kind of like daytime talks shows (only with less production value).

Anyway, yesterday Kitten, my 14 yr old daughter, had an out of town music competition with her Middle School Swing Choir. I came home from work at bedtime and she told me she had a present for me. When I went to tuck her in and kiss her goodnight, she pointed to her nightstand. There proudly stood 4 little yellow tune caps, all in a row. She’d scrounged them from the choir people at lunch, just for her dear ol’ dad.

Isn’t she just the sweetest? I am very blessed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home