Tuesday, August 16, 2005

The Boys Are Back in Town



In the 80s and early 90s I was a big Stryper fan. You remember Stryper, don't you? Yellow and Black spandex and big hair. Singing Heavy Metal Jesus music? The "To Hell with the Devil" album. The had a top forty song called Honestly?

My wife even let me use one of their tunes as the recessional for our wedding.

I tried to see them several times when I was in High School and had no luck. Some commitment always came up. Even to the point where one friend who got to see them in Lincoln while I was at a play rehearsal came back and reported to me that a snow storm had prevented all but about 50 people from going to the concert. So after Stryper got done playing, they just came down off the stage and hung out for a while with the people who showed up to see them. I was excited for her that she got to hang out with my favorite band, as the knife plunged deeper into my heart.

Then, in the early 90s, when the hair band phenomenon was fading, Stryper faded with it. And so too, my hopes to ever see them live. They all had individual projects they went on to after the band dissolved. They were still working musicians. I kept up with them that way---but I was always hoping the unthinkable would happen.

Two years ago it did. They're back! Less hair and no spandex (thank goodness---how did the whole rock and roll spandex thing start anyway? Sheesh.) and a new bassist, but rocking as hard as ever.

On their 20th anniversary they did a tribute tour and found that they still had a bit of a fan base. Enough so that a small record label picked them up and now, today, they are releasing an all new album for the first time in years. Aptly titled "Reborn"!

And with it a promotional tour kicking off next month. Alas, he closest they'll be coming to me is Minneapolis, a 6 hour drive. Also on my daughter's birthday weekend. They seem to only want to play smaller big city houses, like The House of Blues type venues. No road house tour for them. Not that I can blame them. I wouldn't want to do the struggling artist thing again, either, if I didn't have too.

I'm just glad they're back. I may not catch them on this tour, but at least there is still hope I might catch them at some point. At least there's that. And a new album to enjoy. When it finally comes to iTunes, that is.





7 Comments:

Blogger katiescarlet said...

I received an email from the local christian bookstore (the email always contains a 20% off coupon) that mentioned the new stryper album. I remembered you mentioning it in July, so I was fairly certain that you would know when it came out. I am very bummed that you still can't get to see them!! I always associate stryper with you.

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Joe S. said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:10 PM  
Blogger Joe S. said...

Wow, Stryper! Good times. Too bad I'm not in Minneapolis anymore...
:(

6:10 PM  
Blogger Joe S. said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:10 PM  
Blogger Joe S. said...

oops! a little trigger happy I guess... (blush blush)

6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no Will ... more spam (3 or 4 comments this time, though none on your new 'camping' post yet ... what a drag ... I swear someone always has to ruin every good thing ... they need to go camping).

Anyway, I've never heard of Stryper, but last week when we were looking over the roster for Musikfest, a local 10-day festival, one band (whose name I can't remember now) was listed as '80's big-hair metal band,' which made me chuckle ... but really, I think I'd take big hair & spandex over grunge and crusty jeans. Oh, I'm so old (44 yesterday, that's why).

Now wouldn't a road trip with Kitten and tix to this concert make a great birthday present for her?? :-)

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home