Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Freaky Things



My daughter had some down time with her friends during a Speech tournament this weekend, so they taught her how to do herself up in goth make-up. Some of her friends thought it was cool. Some thought it wasn't. Typically they boys thought it wasn't. That part sounded good to me.

But her mom thought it wasn't cool either. And her uncle. Her dad and her brothers liked it, though. But even Kitten was not impressed when I suggested that she go gothic to prom. Oh well. That sounded totally kickin' to me. A little Corpse Bride action thrown into the fru-fru. But alas, no.

She been asked before "why do you want to look like that"? I think it might be genetic. Witness her parents in high school dressing up for Punk Day. That's her father in the middle, and her mother on the right. The girl on the left is "the blond one" for those who have read my "100 Things About Me" post. That girl and the boy behind her are the aunt and uncle of Robo's best friend. Ah, life in a little town.



But even after I'd found that photo from my past, it kept bugging me where I'd seen my daughter's make-up design before. Then a thought and a couple minutes on the Internet gave me the answer:



Speaking of Robo and genetics, we had a bit of a puzzle on our hands last week when our number one son announced as he was going out the door in the morning that he'd finally reached one of his goals at school. What goal is that, we asked. The goal of having people fighting to have him on their team to play sports at recess.

Our quandary was this: how is it biologically possible for two "last one's picked" give birth to a "first one picked"? We decided was that "first one picked" must be a recessive gene, and it just showed up with his red hair.

On the photography front, here's what has me baffled completely. Typically the photos we post to Flickr get viewed between 10 and 20 times. Some of the ones we may reference on another site may spike up to 70 or so, over time. I mentioned in an earlier post that one of little bear on the potty had curiously gotten almost 100 views in less than a week after it was uploaded. Well, now it has been viewed over TWO AND A HALF THOUSAND TIMES! 2702 at the time of this writing to be exact. I have absolutely no idea what is driving that traffic. It's not even linked as anyone's favorite. The rest of the photos are still at under 50 for the most part. Does anyone have any idea where all these viewers are coming from?

Freaky.

Update: Since I wrote this post the picture of little Bear on the potty has gotten another thousand views. I took it off line. I was just starting to get a bit freaked out. And after Shelly's gentle caution in the comment section, I couldn't let it go on. I don't take too much for granted on the web, and it still has me baffled how anyone even ran across this photo. I hope this is all just something innocent, but it kills me to think that some weirdo has linked to it. I was a little taken off guard too when I took a closer look at the picture and realized it wasn't as discreet as I had originally thought it was.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have an answer to 2 of your questions. First--did you forget who Robo's "jock" grandma is. Second--I neglected to tell you I taught BEAR how to pull up his picture on the computer. He loves it. MOM

7:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CJD, I thought of this when you first wrote about the larger than normal spike in viewings of this photo. I brushed it aside as it seemed like it would stop right there.

But now with your asking directly about the ever increasing bizarre number of hits (up to 3700 now?) --I can only say--and I HATE that I think this way--and that you're wonderful innocence and trust might lessen even the slightest bit--but I'll say it in the interest of protection...

I love the way you share your lives and your love with the world... but perhaps you could add into your family posting policy that one eye be kept on the look out for each posting being strictly safe in terms of the darker elements on the web?

Perhaps you've already thought of this.

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I kinda like Kitten's Goth look...and I'm not usually drawn to that. As for the recessive gene...my brother was a natural athlete from the time he could walk...and my Dad used to say about my Mom that she had to try to fall down. :) So who knows where athletic ability comes from, eh?

2:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

kitten looks faboo . . . and thanks for the punk day reminder . . . we had those too . . . as for high numbers of traffic for the pic - do you have sitemeter on your site? You can download the html and it'll tell you what link people are coming in on and if it was a search what the words are - I'm sure you already know about that stuff you being the super tech geek and all fabulous and stuff but that's how I discovered which posts were the funky ones that got linked to so that I could close the comments and adjust future word choices with posts :)

5:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home