Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Quote Floats

Today my daughter filled me in.

She quoted a friend from school who told her (after finding out about my secret goth make-up stash): "Your dad is so cool! I mean, you're cool too [refering to my daughter], but your dad is Wooo-cool! But don't worry, someday you too will have the Woo."

So apparently her friends think I'm cool.

Prepare for the apocolypse.

Actually, I think what's going on here is that the bar has just gotten low enough that I can finally jump it. Parents, or people my age, aren't expected to be cool. In fact, the expectation is quite the opposite. I'm approaching the time where the gap between a person my age and cool should be getting larger and larger. But I seem to be parlaying that effect to my advantage (without even intending to). It seems to be like this, if I listened to the music I do and I was 20, that would be expected. But at almost 40 with a teen-age daughter, it's extraordinary! Excellent. I should be able to leverage this for all it's worth. At this rate, the older I become, the cooler I'll be. Nice.

That was a quote that really sparked my day when my daughter told me about it. Another one was when one of her friends from school came in for a surprise visit. It was the first time this friend had been in our house. When she knocked on the door, Leemur answered and just let her in. He then went back to his Saturday morning dance party there in the living room with Bear. He's not to up on the whole host thing so he just let her wander in of her own accord to where I was in the kitchen. While making to that point, she had to walk by a doorway where she could hear Robo's stereo blasting from his room. After I guided her to where she could find my daughter, she wandered down to Kitten's room where Kitten's iPod was playing hooked up to her computer speakers. Later Kitten told me that her guest had said,

"I love your house. It's so full of music!"

That was also very cool. But the quote that I come back to again and again was one that my wife told me about after she had a little picnic in the backyard with another couple of stay-at-home moms from church. One of the women was a young mom and new to town. We had met and talked a little in a church group, but nothing enough to really imprint on. So when she was telling her husband about this picnic she would be attending, he was having trouble placing the people's house (ours) where she was going to be. He couldn't bring us to mind until she said with all affection,

"You know----the hippies!"

Then he knew exactly who she was talking about.

I floated on that one all day.

1 Comments:

Blogger katiescarlet said...

you will forever be a hippie!!
God bless

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home