Thursday, November 30, 2006

Top 'o the World, Ma!

And so I have made it! I have crested the summit of my Everest. One blog post per day in November. Not any richer for it, but feeling a bit richer for it (if you get my meaning). And I think this penance has set me back on a proper blog track after dropping the ball in October. I'd like to thank my wife and my family for their indulgence as I nightly uttered the phrase, "excuse me, gotta post". Their patience is duly noted.

And on this day of blog triumph, you might take a momant to check out a post I heartily agree with: 10 Ways Blogging Will Change Your Life! (thanks to Marilyn for posting about it---what an excellent find)

And now it's time to wish November good-bye, the month ending with a bit of noise for us. This morning as I was brushing my teeth there was suddenly a very loud sound of things falling with a crash and a clatter. When the sound began I didn't really react because our house often echoes with a crash and clatter---ones that don't amount to much.

But this commotion went on longer and louder than was typical. So I spit into the sink, and with toothbrush in hand, scooted into the kitchen where the noise came from. What I found there was the Lemur on his knees on the floor in front of a corner shelf we have in our little nook area, looking a little shook up.

We rescued this little triangle unit from our friends down the street who were re-doing their kitchen. It helped us to make use of some dead space by the dinner table in our kitchen. The wife had filled it with occasionally used plastic dishes in the lower cabinets, and displayed some mug sets, candy dishes and a potted plant on the shelves above.

When I found Lemur there on his knees he was holding the unit at about a 70 degree angle, keeping it from from falling on him, with the entirety of the contents scattered and smashed on the floor around him, his face painted with shock and a little fear.

I righted the unit and instructed him to stand slowly. He was still bare foot in his pajamas and I didn't want him stepping on something and getting cut. After he stood, I picked him up and once in my arms he was finally able to cry a bit. I asked him if he got hit or cut. He hadn't. The cry wasn't one of pain, or the type from scared toddlers. It was the dry cry young boys still do when the emotion gets too much for them and it has to seep out somewhere.

He eventually quieted down and the wife began to clean while Lemur ate the rest of his breakfast.

It all happened because he was just trying to be a good help, too. How unfair is that. We also keep the cat food in those bottom cabinets, and lemur had noticed the cat waiting for some morning kibbles while as he was eating his own. So, in a mini fit of unprevoked responsibility, he had gone to get the cat food out to fill the cat dish. What I figure happened after that is that when he went to stand up, he must have leaned on the open cabinet doors, levering the whole thing into a landslide.

Thankfully no one was hurt, and the day went on.

As they say, Life happens. It just seems to happen so much more around our house.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

. . . you are king of the blogosphere! :) and i will miss your daily posts . . . i got all spoiled and stuff with missives from nebraska and the house of hilarious and deep and thoughtful and silly :)

8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home