Friday, June 06, 2008

Were you there when Bobby Kennedy died?

I was around, but just barely. Still an infant. When I started realizing what was what in the world, it was just after Watergate and near the end of the Vietnam. All the air was gone from the balloon, but there was a tinge in the air still of 'what would it have been like if we'd gotten to see what Bobby promised'.

Now, on the month of the 40th anniversary of his death, a new democratic candidate of promise takes the stage. I can't help seeing that as significant.

I can't help but picturing a political illustration in my head of Barak is picking up a metaphorical fallen American flag off of a blood stained hotel kitchen floor, to carry it forward.

As I've watched Barak and listened to his book, I can't help but seeing a little Bobby Kennedy, a little Dr. King---oh, and a little Cliff Huxtable.

Maybe we'll get to see that promise after all. And hmmm, 40 years---like the Jews in the desert with Moses, waiting to cross over. We shall see.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen brother. :)

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home