Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Red Letter Day!

Ok, today was very interesting and exciting. It started out that today was the MacWorld keynote address in San Francisco---where they make the product announcements. But I'll get to that in a minute.

But before I go there, I must tell you how excited I was to find that I got my first comment on a blog entry today as well! That's the other thing that made today kind of cool. I was just looking down through the posts to see if that comment number at the end of the posts had changed to something besides a zero. I do this each day in what I regard as a fruitless activity, but just to check---even thought it causes me to wonder each time if anyone has ever even read anything I've written here. But I feel like the concern of neglecting someone who took the time to comment justifies this empty exercise.

Today it was different though. Today there was a little Easter egg at the bottom of my Dec 22 post! Or should I say, a lack of a goose egg. I had a comment! This is a very cool moment for my blog life. I honestly didn't think anyone had ever poked in on me here. So this thank you goes out to Michele, whoever you are. If she had left a link that connected to another blog or an email address I would have sent an email I swear. But anyway, there it is. Very cool surprise.

I have surfed blogs for years now and until recently haven't posted comments. I always felt just a bit like an intruder when I was looking around in peoples websites, and it just didn't feel right----like leaving a comment would be like walking into someone's conversation and shoving in an unsolicited contribution (at which point the conversation stops and everyone looks at you, not knowing what to say or how to really talk to you. At which point you give everyone a polite nod and a smile and slink back out of the group---they close the space where you stood and pick right back up where they left off as you go stand by a wall with your drink. As you can see, I've got baggage).

But then Karen over at "A Slice of Keroni" had a post offering Lurker Amnesty. For Lurkers, or people just poking around without letting the owners know that your there, she encouraged them to leave a post just saying that they were there. So I did, and she wrote me back. It was very cool. Now, I try to take the time to post a comment more often than I have in the past.

So, if you're reading this, leave me a comment and I'll send you an email (if you have your email addy on your profile).

In other news, that I mentioned earlier, the Apple folks have rolled out some very cools stuff today. Get ready for the landscape to change! Things just got interesting. Check it out over to Apple's website.

1 Comments:

Blogger Marilyn said...

Hi Will,
See, you "de-lurk" and you get comments! :) Believe me, you are not alone in that awkward "I shouldn't comment because they don't know me and they all seem to know each other and then I'll feel like a total dork and just slink away and maybe even remove my public blog because god forbid someone should think I EXIST" kind of way. Or, maybe that's just me... :) See, LOTS of us have those issues!

Oh, but once you break through that wall...all KINDS of wonderful will happen to you. The blogosphere is just filled with fabulous people who will turn out to be nothing short of REAL friends...even if you never meet them in person or talk to them on the phone.

So welcome to the world of commenting (on both sides)!

3:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home