Monday, April 25, 2005

Remember not to Forget

Sometimes life gets to moving so fast. I've got to remember the things that happen in these busy times. Precious fleeting moments that are so easily lost. I've got remember:

Picking up donated food with Robo on an all city food drive the Scouts sponsored when he looked over filled with pride and said, "I really like helping people dad. This is cool."

The all city music concert that Robo looked forward to all week because it was his first public performance with the orchestra. They only played for a total of 10 minutes but he was over at his buddies house and they were working together to try and get their cello parts down. Quite a change from the usual mud sliding, dirt biking, running around dripping in sweat that they usually do.

That after the concert I ran into the new pastor and his wife and family and ended up going to get ice cream with them. That we shut down the place because we were talking like we've been friends for years and then went into the parking lot and talked some more while our kids ran around together playing tag under the streetlights on what felt like an early summer night.

That Robo cried himself to sleep later that week because he felt like the boys he was playing a game with after Wed night church service were picking on him. In their enthusiasm they had ganged up on him and he felt very overwhelmed. It wasn't a sobbing cry, just large tears that wouldn't be denied rolling down a very brave face. That he seemed very embarrassed by his emotional state and wanted to be alone, so asked if I would leave the room instead of our usual tucking-in. That later he came wandering into the living room, blinking against the light of the T.V., needing a hug he couldn't ask for. That I held him and asked if would like to be tucked in now. He said yes this time and I lay beside him on his bed in the dark while he drifted off.

That the next day we had an excellent talk and decided that the other boys had been his friends for sometime and they probably didn't mean to hurt his feelings----but that it was also important to remember the feeling and make sure that he looks out for other kids that might get into the same situation. That it's important to stick up for the little guy.

That Robo finally finished his knife safety course with the Scouts that we required him to complete before he could receive the pocket knife that his Grandparents got him for Christmas. That Grandma and Grandpa brought it over and even though it was just a mini Swiss army knife with a tiny blade, a nail file and pair of scissors, to him it might as well have been Excalibur.

That I went to the high school early orientation with my daughter and was reminded again what an exceptional student she has become. We looked as the schedule and the accelerated course she was capable of entering. That she'll be taking college courses at the same time she's finishing her advanced high school courses in Maths, Sciences, and English. That my wife and I lay in bed at night and try to comes to grips with what an amazing young woman lives in the house with us. That even though she is so gifted, she still blends well with kids that struggle just to pass their classes. That she seems just at home with them exchanging Buffy and Napoleon quotes as she does doing advanced Math homework where all the numbers have been replaced by letters.

That Kitten wrote this amazing story for her English extra credit and I pressed her to try and find out how much was her original writing and what might be a re-wording of the author that they were assigned to write in the style of---because it just seemed so much better than a 14 year old should be able to write. That the English teacher had her read it for the whole class and several of her classmates want copies of it. That I sat on the edge of her bed discussing college level concepts of story structure and character development where there were areas that could be strengthened a little. That she is going back and re-writing it because she wants to apply what we've talked about to make it better, even though the assignment is over.

That I woke up on a Saturday morning, way to early, to take my daughter bird watching with a group from the local college so she could get extra credit in science. We walked around this nature area in a morning far too cold for April and were guided by this Slavic man (he sounded that way from his accent) who was very birdlike himself. He was so distracted by everything that took flight around us that he could hardly complete his sentences.

That the Lemur has been telling me for weeks that his bike was broken when the only problem was that the training wheels had been removed. That I ran back and forth for 30 minutes beside him on his bike with no training wheels trying to teach him how to ride big boy style. That in the end he decided that he still really wanted to have the training wheels put back on.

That Kitten's friend from down that block that used to practically live at our house, and who has told us that she likes it better at our house because things are kind of tough for her at home, was given partial charge over the kitchen last night on the venture into making deli style Ruben sandwiches. She has often helped around our house, and tonight she stepped it up and helped us pioneer with skill and pride.

That the little Bear walks around the house singing Day-O (the banana boat song) at the top of his lungs, but when I try to get him to do it for he grandparents everything else becomes so much more exciting.

That this weekend we married off my sister in law at the courthouse, and how she was almost reduced to tears when we showed up to find that the judge that does the marrying was in St. Louis. How then a nice judge that was working a court case in a neighboring courtroom put that case on hold to come over and officiate the wedding so that a young woman wouldn't have her special day ripped to shreds. And that in a stellar display of class began the ceremony by saying "I have four lawyers waiting in the other room, but this is more important". That this gave me faith that kindness can be found in more places than you would sometimes think.

That I made the plunge, and while still hoping I haven't made a mistake, am on deck to write and co-direct a summer show for the local community player with my wife, and that we're tentatively set up for the fall show as well. That some of the core people were so glad to have us back that one of them interjected as we were walking to our cars "I'm so excited, I don't think I'm going to be able to get to sleep tonight". That right now I'm hoping I don't disappoint, that I'm also hoping that my kids aren't cheated out of time with me for the time I'm giving the plays, and that I'm able to work with my wife in such a way that I support her as she strives to express herself through this medium after such a lengthy time away.

God is good. Life is good. We are so blessed. That is the most important thing for me to remember not to ever forget.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a sweet post, Will. And congrats to you and the wife on getting back to theatre work!

6:07 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

I enjoyed reading your post. The trappings of daily life, easily overlooked and often dismissed, are the "good old days" that you’ll think back on in the years to come. It’s good to see you’re taking the time to enjoy them fully. Thanks for the kind words on my Illustration Friday post. With the prodding of a mutual friend I hope to do more....... this weeks theme "daring" was an appropriate one for me, just doing ANYTHING was daring for me!! Great to "meet" you!

6:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What great intuition you have! To realize the importance of the little treasures of everyday life. Your children will love to revisit those moments with you no matter how old they get.

8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's it -- I'm moving in with you guys!

I sighed through this whole post. So wonderful. Thanks Will.

5:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home