Friday, April 08, 2005

New Friend

I made a new online friend just a bit ago. We both had been doing the free, limited participation thing on Chatfinder but hadn't run into each other. Then one day I have this message. It's one of the few prepackaged messages that Chatfinder allows the free members to send---it simply said "contact me sometime". Problem was, as a free member, I couldn't see her contact info. I'd have to pay for that. Hmmmmm.

I've confessed to her through email that "I was a bit baffled at first. Why would this interesting person, female no less, want to talk to me? Out of all the zillions of other people, mostly guys, on that service?

The back ground there is that I never get picked out of the crowd. I wasn't ever the one that was asked to dance. Always picked last for teams. That sounds like a sad thing, but I actually am very ok with it most of the time. It provides a very comfortable anonymity---almost an invisibility. I like to people watch, and when there is nothing particularly striking about you, you can just blend in and watch to your heart's content. It can actually be a tremendous asset. And I recognize it as that.

However, the consequence of that is that it can be almost startling when some on does take notice. And my first reaction is always to doubt and rationalize---it was a mistake, this particular appeal was sent to many others or maybe everyone, or maybe they're selling something. But I've been trying to be a little more daring---so I took the chance. I'm glad I did."

She says she doesn't know why she sent that message. It's the only one she sent, but she felt like we would have things to talk about from reading my profile. And as it turns out, she was right. It's been great having my first "pen pal" right in the thick of my adulthood.

At any rate, through writing her I've been talking up the whole blog concept and she decided to take the plunge! And even though it's only a couple days old, it's got some good reading on it.

So I invite you to check it out at The Enchanted Eye.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home