Monday, June 06, 2005

Geeking Out!!!




Graphic from Fran Menendez as
found on Macintouch


Is it cold in here or did hell just freeze over?

Oh. My. Gosh. Did you hear? Did you hear?

Apple is going over to INTEL!!!! People! This is significant! This changes everything! They said it would never happen! But it HAS!!

Let me break it down. Tiger, the Apple operating system that is being touted as the safest and the most stable and most advanced by all the pundits, could now be operable on EVERY COMPUTER MANUFACTURED WITH AN INTEL CHIP (or Intel compatible). Which is basically every computer put out at the time that it ships. So if they license the OS, it could potentially come on a DELL, or an HP, or a home made box!

V.P. Phill Shiller says no---no Mac OS on non-Apple boxes. But it's possible--who'd have thunk this? But on the flip side, apparently Mr. Shiller has said that Window's could actually run on a Mac. That seems like going off road in a Ferrari to me, but you know some one will do it. And it might be a play to say, hey look Window's users, you want to buy cool hardware with the logo like your iPod without having to re-buy your software. Heck, we won't stop you.

But in what seems like the second half of a hopeful one-two punch, Apple also announced that they will be bringing out the next incarnation of the Mac OS, called Leopard, right around the time that Microsoft brings out their next version of Windows, code named Longhorn. So the next time the computer manufacturers of the world have a operating system upgrade choice, maybe it won't just be Microsoft and who? Any one? Anyone? No one? Bueller? Bueller?

It'll be Microsoft or Mac OS! And with what people are recommending right now, this may turn Microsoft's unrivaled control of the desktop into something looking more like the X-Box/Playstation wars.

This is getting good.

(And I can't get onto the Apple News sites, dang it! They're getting overwhelmed by readers, it would appear.)

***My apologies for the unfettered and irresponsible use of exclamation points in this post. I'm just a little worked up----can you tell?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, yes ... will this mean I would be able to run Fusion (and open my old Fusion files), etc., even if I switch to that beautiful 15" Powerbook you recommended? Yahoo! I like that.

8:16 AM  
Blogger Sherriatric said...

I can picture you sitting at your desk typing this, and getting up occasionnaly to dance around and wave your hands in the air and perform awkwardly excited leaps causing your family to look at you and each other with quizzical expressions on their faces thinking perhaps you've finally gone off the deep end.

Am I right? Am I right?

:-)

8:54 AM  
Blogger Joe S. said...

That's good news...I guess. I'm not really geekish but your explanation sounds great!!

BTW. I do intend on replying to your e-mail about my 100 things about me list (which I have since finished).:)

Peace,

Joe

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once again you took the words out of my husbands mouth. I am still hearing about it and he's not that happy.

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home