Tuesday, November 15, 2005

The coin has well and truly dropped

It’s snowing.

That’s when you know winter is serious. Before that it’s all empty threats. But as of today the gauntlet has been thrown.

If you need me, I’ll be cowering till March.

If you were to ask me how many pets we have, I’d tell you one and a half cats. The half cat is a big fluffy black cat. He’s an entire cat, but he can only be really considered 'ours' through the cold months of the year. He was obviously a housecat at one point because he’s declawed and he responds to the electric can opener, yet he refuses to live inside for as long as he can. But it would seem the snow tested his metal this morning as he leapt in the door with my daughter’s friends coming to walk to school with her. However, he quickly changed his mind. Apparently you could see the walls closing in on him in his eyes, and he was out again just as fast.

It was pajamas day in the Lemur’s class today--they were allowed a fun special day where they could wear appropriate PJs for school clothes. He jumped out of bed, and was happy to announce that he was instantly ready for school. I did remind him that shoes were in order.

However, as we were pulling up to the school he got a little anxious when he didn’t see anyone else in PJs. He wanted me to take him home. There was no time to make that sort of change, but my refusal and his brother’s reassurances could not calm him. He only grew more panicked with each kid sans PJs that he saw.

Then finally, thankfully, a little girl hopped out of the SUV in front of us with pink polka dot pajama pants coming out of her pink parka. He instantly relaxed and was off.

Last night the wife relayed that she had had a bit of a mental slip at dinner. Things were a bit chaotic, as they can be around dinner time. She was trying to get the boys settled down and my daughter was on the phone. So she just sat down to say the blessing and get on with dinner. It was a short prayer and she ended with,


“Please bless this food. In your holy name. .


. . .Bye”


She started serving herself as the boys looked up slowly, not sure how to respond to the unconventional ending. When she started to feel that something was a little wrong, all she could do was look back at them and ask,


“Did I say 'bye' out loud?”


Oh yes. That’s sort of how thing are going right now.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

... and I'll be cowering with you.

Luckily, Mother Nature has given us a reprieve and blessed us with a couple of days in the 60s/70s this week. It's all about to end tonight, though.

I really liked this post. Life, served up just as it is ... kooky.

5:17 AM  
Blogger katiescarlet said...

That's why I don't live there anymore. I don't like cold or snow! the 40's and 50's I get here are about all I can handle!

"bye" may be a bit unusual, but it works just as well as amen.

God bless.

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SNOW?! Good grief, it's still in the mid-70's here (although apparently that's unseasonably warm for this time of year). I think the winter cat has the right idea...maybe it's time to hunker down for awhile... :)

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home