Thursday, October 27, 2005

Rosa Parks


Just wanted to post a note that I did mark on Monday that Ms. Rosa Parks had merged with the infinite.

I had always taken some small quiet comfort knowing she was still around for the past several years. That there was still a common man hero among us, and that there was an actor that emerged from the populace to effect history who wasn't yet simply a notation in a book. It seemed that somehow that meant that heroism was still possible and it wasn't just something that was thoughy about in 4th period or on a cable news channel.

This seems to be the year for losing icons. Makes me feel all the more that there is an even greater need for new luminaries to emerge. But I don't despair. I know they are coming. They will come from unexpected directions. I am excited with the anticipation of becoming aware of them and living to witness their endeavors. It will be quite thrilling, I have no doubt.

The banner at the top of this post is from Apple's website. That group can be classy in more ways than just their hardware. I can't think of one other company that would dedicate that much homepage real-estate to a cultural tribute.

Rest well, Ms. Rosa. And thank you.

Note: Blogger is being weird with my links right now. If they are broken, please just go to Apple.com. Thanks for your patience.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said, Will. She is indeed a hero.

Apple has always had some of the best commercials. My favorite was the one entitled 'The Crazy Ones.' It starts off, 'Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The square pegs in the round holes.' Oh, I just love it. So much that I have the words printed out and taped up in my office. The words and images have so inspired me. They are one cool company (and I'm really glad that Steve Jobs found his way back there again, where he belongs).

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

. . . just a note that the apple.com link is broken . . oooohooooo :) K

1:30 PM  
Blogger katiescarlet said...

Ok, I am not a mac user, but I still have copies of print ads from when Alan Alda was promoting for apple! (of course, that's because it's Alan).

It is sad about Rosa. Mother Teresa was sad too.

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As much as a pioneer as Rosa Parks was (and I give her her due), for ME personally, I was more devastated by the loss of Ossie Davis. Now THERE was a man--not just a brilliant actor, but an extraordinary man who fought like a champ for civil rights...

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home