Friday, November 10, 2006

Dag Nab It!

Ok, so I have a new term that I would like to gain wide spread usage to send a message. That term is "Googled Up". It is a term that can be applied when someone or something that does one thing very well so thinks that this expertise should translate into everything else they put their hand to---creating less than stellar results. Even more applicable if they are butting into something that is going along quite well and decide that their involvement would only make things better, and it, of course, does not. Think of it as he complete opposite of an Apple experience.

I am posting this frustrated post in response to Google's buying binge this year, and how they are Googling Up everything that I was doing just fine with. Start with blogger here. At first Googles acquisition of blogger was fine because the left it alone, relatively. When they came out with Google mail I was good for a free try, but must say that I thought that they should stick to the search business which they do much better. Their try at mail just seemed like a big mess.

Then they bought the online word processing website that I was very fond of called "Writely". At first, they also left that alone, which well they should. But then, in the end, they decided to "improve" it, and they took this attractive, intuitive, functional web based application, and turned it into something that looks and acts like Google mail! I still use it, but the charm is gone.
Now they went and "improved" Blogger, and I can't post my photos from Flickr anymore! Whatever Flickr has been using all this time to log in and post a photo is now broken because of the updated version of Blogger! Grrr. So click on my Flickr badge in the sidebar if you'd like to see more party photos.

I just shudder to think what they'll do to YouTube.

Anyway, on the flip side, I found a new piece of website software that I'm trying that's called iLike at iLike.com. It's a sidebar that attaches itself to your iTunes and then looks at the music you like and makes recommendations based on what you're listening to. Also, they have profiles of a MySpace flavor that's centered around helping you find see what other people are listening to and let's you listen to samples. It also tries to match you with people with similar musical interests so you can connect with new people that like the music you like.

If you try this new thing let me know. I'd like to hook up with some people over there. It'll be fun. (I'm CyberJazzDaddy over there too.)

Do it quickly before that gets Googled Up too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home