Sunday, November 26, 2006

It's Up. . .And It's Good!

We officially started the Holiday Season today with the raising o' the tree this evening. We have an artificial that we got when we first moved into this house and finally had room for a full size tree. I must say that each year the kids get bigger and can handle more and more of the actual work of getting the tree up and decorated, the more I am able to enjoy it. They've never lacked the enthusiasm, but when they were little it was me trying to get the tree up while I fought off the munchkin hoards of glass ball smashers undoing everything I was trying to do in their efforts to 'help'.

But now it's a totally different story. I pull it down out of the attic and sit on the couch coaching and handing out decorations that I'm pulling out of the boxes. So amazing---we get the tree up and decorated and everybody still likes everybody.

Robo and Kitten commented as the put on the top portion of the tree, "Man, this tree gets shorter every year."

I still did choose to keep some decorations off the tree, though. My collection of Star Wars and Star Trek ornaments that my mom and dad have given me over the years stayed off because to the Bear they still look to much like toys. And the glass balls got a pass. The memory of last year coming into the living room and seeing the Bear sitting surrounded by glass shards as he pulled them off the tree onto the floor where he stabbed them with knitting needles was still very fresh in my mind.

But we were able to keep some tradition as we watched "The Muppets Christmas Carol". If life deals me a bit of Bob Cratchet, I guess that's a back drop I can play against, especially when I see it played by Kermit.

Thanks for all the kind words and thoughts everyone. Never hurts to have people around that help to keep the Season in perspective.

Deck those halls, baby.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home