Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Twitter Nation

You may have noticed a new blue badge in my side bar.

That's my Twitter badge.

Twitter is the latest Internet 2.0 craze. First there was Blogger, then Flickr, then Podcasting, then MySpace, then YouTube. . .and now it's Twitter. As you can see with all the 'er' endings on Internet services, the Internet is becoming a verb. I like that. It's not like T.V. in which you are passive and just let it wash over you. You are active. You are social. The Internet just removes those nasty inconveniences like time and space.

Twitter gives you the ability to put a little one sentence post out there, and follow other people's one sentence posts. On the net, by email, on your phone. Whatever. Most people just give a little note about what they are doing at that particular moment. Consequently, some have labeled this victim assisted automated cyber-stalking.

Others, more hospitable to the service have described it as really slow chat. It must be fairly addictive though, because it's only a few months old, but already it's been blocked at work---and they only do that with sites whose company wide visits throw up a productivity impact red flag. Very Interesting.

I like to think of it as micro-posting. I'm using it to try and keep it from feeling like I've abandoned my little corner of the web when life gets busy. I may not have time for a complete post, but I can chuck a sentence up once or twice a day.

So if I seem kind of quiet over here, look for the Twitter badge. I'm probably tweeting at you from over there. :-)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I keep reading about Twitter...but I guess I'm still not getting the appeal. But Twitter away, pal! :)

9:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh ... I think I might like twittering. (i think i might also get a kick out of saying that i'm a twitterer ...) ;)

Methinks that folks like you and I - who are lovers of connection, but only semi-regular posters - are their ideal target audience. And I'm not surprised that our pal Marilyn doesn't get the appeal; the woman posts practically every day. (how does she DO it?)

7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home