Wednesday, April 04, 2007

So, the other day I spent the entire night running from the mafia.

Or rather not running from them.

I had a dream that a high school friend of mine (who wasn't at the last reunion, oddly enough) came to the reunion and was sad to inform me that I had infracted upon some technicality in the mafia code, and so he regrettably was going to have to kill me execution style. But because he liked me, he gave me a month to get my affairs in order.

I was devastated to hear this, of course. And my wife was deeply distressed that I was just going to let it happen, without running or fighting or reporting it to someone to get help or something. I begged her to understand that it was coming for me, no matter what, and if I resisted in anyway, they would torture me to death rather than just executing me with a shot to the head.

I woke up with a start, gasping, sucking in the reality of the room even before I had consciously realized that it had all been just a dream. Relief flowed through me like a drug.

This may be my punishment for being a movie snob, I think (see last post).

My daughter goes to see the new Will Ferrel movie--I rent Munich and watch it at work during my lunch hour on a portable DVD player over several days. Then I criticize. It's as if my subconscious was shaking it’s head at me for being so condescending as to feel like an ethnocentric father whose daughter was dating outside of our race.

Like it was saying, “Hmmm, I bet she’s not shivering in her sheets after having dreams about ICE SKATERS.”

I went and rented a copy of “Best of Saturday Night Live: Will Ferrell” on DVD. In an interview with Ferrell they played a clip from his satire of Bush’s Axis of Evil speech, and I remember accidentally catching that late one Saturday night and finding it kind of funny. So I thought, I just need to give it a chance. I popped in the DVD last night and. . . nothing. I was kind of chuckling because I wanted it to be funny, but really, it wasn't hitting me in the sweet spot. And this was the BEST STUFF, and still, it was totally missing the mark for me. No hope. (They didn't even have the Axis of Evil speech on there!)

I really didn't intend to be a cinema version of Jack Black in High Fidelity. But as you can see, somehow a variation of that happened (with even my metaphors being hip movie references).

But I should at least get some points for restraining myself and not grounding her for a week from all non-subtitled movies.

This morning, a change. She came into the bathroom and asked me if a Tusken Raider (from Star Wars) could be a Jedi. I don't know if she was just throwing me a bone or what, but I spent a few moments guiding her thoughts on the subject.

In any case, now things are feeling a little better.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

While you were dreaming of running for your life from the mafia, I dreamt of YOU. (i'm not kidding.) The other night I dreamt that you and one of your sons (i'm not sure who, cause he didn't look anything like the photos you post on your site), came to a housewarming party at the new house I'll be moving into next month (only it wasn't actually the house but some other place i've never seen before.) (dreams ... whatever). Anyway, you came with a beautiful bright copper pot with a flowering plant in it and you and another friend of mine from my CA days were keeping me company in the kitchen while I was cooking, and you were discussing the merits of stained glass on front doors. Then you went outside to toss a frisbee and that was the end of your role in my dream. Very deep, huh?

:)

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home