Sunday, November 16, 2008

How I Roll

Yesterday saw me accompaning the Bear on a bowling birthday party. I stayed on to help him out as he would need some attention that the parents might not anticipate in a classmate. I was glad to find that the relatives of the birthday girl were all very attentive and kind and included the little Bear right along.

Of course, the bowling of the little kids was amusing. They would make thier way to the line, stuggling under the weight of a bowling ball as big as their heads where they would fling it like a shot put. It would land with an attention getting clatter and then take days to roll down the alley, bouncing off the gutter bumpers put up just for them, before finally knocking over a pin or two.

I think we only got through 4 frames in an hour before the very smart mommy said---"Let's have cake now."

On Bear's final push he got it into his head that he wanted to see how long it would take the ball to get down to the pins, or something, so he took the ball to the line, put it down and gave it an ever so tiny push. Standing beside him, I wasn't sure this ball would even make it to the end of the lane, so I quickly got on my hands and knees beside him to reach out and give the ball a bigger push to hurry it along.

That's when I realized that there are things in life that a mere citizen isn't meant to touch, and a bowling lane is one of them. I found that apparently they oil those things pretty thoroughly as I skidded off my one palm and onto my chesk. In front of all the other parents.

When I turned and walked back with my son, they were still smiling good naturedly working to get the next young one up for thier turn. Or just avoiding eye contact.

So good. Why shouldn't they know me for what I am. I can't walk through life a mystery, now can I?

The answer is, no, I can't. My nature won't let me. It's always giving me away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home