Tuesday, July 05, 2005

The Twinge in my Heart

Yes, it's that time of year again. The time of year where I realize that I am very happy, but some how my eye turns to the horizion and I feel this ache deep down inside. Just a little.

My thoughts are constantly drifting to Bushnell Illinoise and the most kick the doors down music and more festival ever.

Yes, it's time again for Conerstone.

I went when it was only 3 years old in 1987 and have never been back, but would really like to. And each year when the gates open at the end of June, I realize that I'm not there again this year.

It is fantastic unbelieveable with all the stuff that goes on. Over 25,000 people converge on this country town to go to a fill a neaby pastureland and listen to 300 bands on 11 stages over 4 days. But it's not just music, there's an art festival, a film festival, a dance tent, extreme sports, a lake, horses, kids activites and over 200 seminars. All happening at the same time.

And the kicker for us is that it's a Christian event. Family friendly but with a twist. This won't look or sound like any church that I know of. It's a collection of the Jesus Underground. Every kind of music from Death Metal to Celtic style world music to Electronica. Every outcast subculture from Punk to Goth to Hippie to Homeboy. Tatoos, piercings, leather, spikey hair, colored hair, long hair, no hair (and then throw in some Grandmas)---it's all there. This is the original Jesus Freak Show.

Some of the bands you may have heard of like Switchfoot and Jars of Clay. Most you probably haven't. It's an indie fest like you've never seen from all kinds of generes. Some of the bands you may hear more from like Relient K, MxPx and Project 86.

The film festival has a strong attraction to me as well. The show things you may not think of as being typical from a festival like this. They are set up to show and discuss films like Dogville and The Motorcycle Diaries. They will also be showing documentaries, foriegn films and indie films.

A seperate part call the Imaginarium will be showing old classic flims like Casablanca and Frankenstein.

I follow the website to live the experience by proxy, and this year they've added video, and a podcast being hosted by the Zany Aquires. It helps.

It's over now and so I start thinking again---maybe next year I'll be there. My mother in law is going to buy us a tent for Christmas she told us this last week, so maybe that puts us one step closer.

Only 365 days to find out for sure.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's hoping you can make it next year. In the meantime, enjoy the Podcast. Hey, maybe next year, YOU'LL be pocasting from there!

P.S. You were only THREE in 1987? Good grief I'm old...in 1987 I was probably dancing on a stage in a San Francisco nightclub in a hot legs contest that was judged by the members of Wang Chung and was filmed by the local CBS affiliate where I ended up as the 'tease' (no pun intended) for the 11:00 news...

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home