Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Godzilla Cool points

I scored my first major cool points with the Bear, my little 3 year old. Bear has a major fixation right now on Godzilla. He's had a passing fancy with dinosaurs, the sharks from Nemo and Sharks Tale, and elephants and crocodiles and the like.

But when I picked up a copy of the Matthew Broderick live action "Godzilla" CG fest movie from he bargain bin at Wal Mart on a lark, Bear knew immediately from the first viewing that he'd found the object of his desire. I think we've played that movie about ten thousand times at our house.

My wife had been playful with him one day and sang the Blue Oyster Cult song "Godzilla"---the one where the chorus goes "Oh, No. There goes Tokyo. Go, Go Godzilla". He loved that there was a song now about Godzilla and asked her to sing it all the time.

So I decided it might be fun to grab a copy of the song off iTunes. I put it on the iPod and plugged it into the stereo this morning before I left for work. He didn't react while they were singing the first verse, but when they got to the chorus---oh boy! He came bolting in from the kitchen to the living room, eyes wide, and just stood there facing the entertainment center doing his little knee bob dance.

Then as the song went on, he put on his Godzilla face with his lower teeth biting up over his upper lip to show his sharp teeth and his hands pulled in small to be the shorter front forearms of the T-Rex like nuclear mutation. He stomped around opening and closing his mouth trying to squeak out the signature cry/roar.

Ol' Dad had turned the crank, big time. How cool is that. I can't wait to get home and put it on again. I know we'll be playing that song until we want to go screaming down the street, but I'll enjoy it while I still can.

Godzilla and Blue Oyster Cult. Preschool was never quite like this.

5 Comments:

Blogger katiescarlet said...

that is so very cute!!!

God bless

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, please, please, please, Mr. Videographer, can we have a video clip of Bear doing his Godzilla dance? It sounds so CUTE! :)

12:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story ... glad you're finding and sharing these kinds of moments amid the 'spinning' of the past few weeks.

I always marvel at how kids can watch a movie or listen to a song a hundred thousand times and be just as thrilled each time around (and why as adults, once is enough on a lot of things). I still remember one Sesame Street video my son watched over and over and over, and there's a line I STILL can't get out of my head ... it was Big Bird saying, 'Hang on to your feathers, little bird!' because a big wind was coming. Oy, the things our brains retain ... good thing there's room in there for a lot of stuff, including some practical things (like remembering to buckle up) ... otherwise I'd be in big trouble.

7:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahhhhhhhhhhh - excellent visual on that one! great storytelling . . . and wonderful story . . . cyberCOOLDaddy :)

4:44 AM  
Blogger katiescarlet said...

hey, I just found a blog you might like. (this isn't spam!)http://muppetnewsflash.blogspot.com/2005/10/muppets-tonight-on-dvd.html It't the official blog for all things muppets!

God bless

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home