Wednesday, October 12, 2005

"One More Thing" happens TODAY!

Very excited. Lots of anticipation today. No, I'm not talking about the new "Lost" episode---ok, not only talking about that (though it is something that makes Wednesdays special). Today is the day for "One More Thing"! The new Apple announcement.

Apple sent out a cryptic press release last week that said it would make a new product announcement today, Oct 12. The title of the release is what is important to me---it said "One More Thing". If you are a total Mac Geek and have followed all the Steve Jobs Keynotes streamed on the web in the past, then you know the message behind the message.

This is the phrase that Jobs has used when he was giving his keynote addresses to prelude the announcement of the most exciting product. The one everyone had been waiting for. He would spend all the lead up time telling about little new things, like improvements to the video chat that works with the isight, or how many songs had been purchased on the iTunes Music Store (iTMS). All very interesting I suppose, but that's not what people where there for. Then he would look like he was finishing, thanking everyone for coming, and almost as an after thought he would look up and say "oh, and one more thing. . .", and then he would introduce the thing that would make headlines for the next week.

It became one of his little trademark gimmick. Everyone at these things started to know that they were all there for the "one more thing". It was becoming as signature as the Fonz saying "Ayyyyy" or Mork's "Nano Nano" (and if you got those references, it dates you as much as it just did me---ether that or you just are staying up way too late watching Nick-at-Night).

So now there is a whole press conference on the One More Thing. It seems, coming so soon after the Nano announcement to be an addendum to that meeting. I believe it. Every one was expecting a iPod Video then and it didn't materialize. But now everyone thinks that what will happen today---all the tech pundits anyway.

I think it will be an iPod/iTMS announcement for sure. How can I be so sure. Because the iTMS didn't update yesterday. I think I've mentioned before that every Tuesday I pop into the iTMS to see what new stuff has come out on New Release Tuesday (if you don't know, Tuesdays are the day when all the record labels and movie studios put out there new products ---new DVDs and CDs. So that's when iTunes updates too).

I used to get frustrated when I would find no updates on Tuesday from iTunes. Slackers! But then I started to see the correlation between the lack of update, and the soon following announcement about something iPod or iTunes. It happened with the Nano announcement---and now this week. So, we'll see.

I am so excited if it is a video iPod. The reason being that this opens up a bottleneck in the whole digital video revolution. With the ability to make very affordable digital video and movie projects on the desktop, that was one obstacle to entry overcome. But then there was still the distribution problem. Sure you could put your video on your website, but how would you get people to come and see your efforts?

Enter podcasting. Mostly audio right now, but the same concept works for video. And there has been a grassroots video-casting effort that has been gaining steam and attention. But it's only been laying the groundwork. Just like with audio podcasting, when Apple and the iTMS pick up the video thing and provide a fabulous, attractive, easy to use video product----that's going to blow the doors out on this thing. Suddenly if you have a movie, or short form video, you also have a power house low-cost (read "no-cost") distribution service and suddenly people are seeing your work.

Well, we'll see. The wait begins. I'm just trying to figure out who, if anyone, is going to be blogging the event live like they have had in the past. I can't find anyone who is doing it this time. Sheesh.


Update: It's True! It's True! Oh, and did I mention Lost on the iPod Video? I love this country. (And they come in Black now too. Sooo cooool).

6 Comments:

Blogger katiescarlet said...

Nice info about mac stuff, but how about a little blog blip about the news you and wife were supposed to get yesterday afternoon!!!??? (unless I misread the entry and you get the info today?)

God bless

10:08 AM  
Blogger katiescarlet said...

FROM YAHOO< A FEW MIN AGO>
SAN JOSE, Calif. - Apple Computer Inc.'s CEO Steve Jobs introduced the company's new video iPod on Wednesday.

That fulfills expectations many industry insiders had that Jobs would unleash yet another one of the popular iPod players to the market.

The market-leading line of iPod portable music players has boosted the company's fortunes as of late. Apple's income more than quadrupled in its last fiscal quarter.

Overall shipments of the digital music player, however, fell shy of Wall Street's high hopes.

The newest iPod fleshes out a full line of the players, which now includes the iPod nano, the iPod shuffle, the iPod Photo, the U2-branded iPod, and now one capable of playing U2 music videos as well.

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never known another human being who can get this excited over Apple products. ;)

5:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh oh ... does this mean the 'old' iPod is old hat now?

Time to start begging for a new toy. Mom? Dad?

... of course, if you DO get that new toy, I know someone who would be more than thrilled to get your hand-me-down iPod ... and I don't mean your kids (or wife).

5:13 AM  
Blogger Katherine said...

. . you are so hilarious! I miss working at apple just so I could tell you fun things and help you get your geek on . . . I was actually laying in bed last night thinking of how content I am with my little shuffle, how I don't even have a need or even use for a regular sized ipod much less a nano . . . but I do love my ibook . . . i'm just don't really have the geek gene . . . but I do enjoy hearing the latest from you . . . :)

7:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wasn't it "Nanu nanu" that Mork said? And are Happy Days and Mortk and Mindy on Nic at Night now? I haven't had tv since April nor friends since... ever.

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home