Monday, April 04, 2005

Concert Update

The concert I mentioned we were going to on Saturday night was good and we had a good time. I did have a brush with what I call the childhood food/entertainment paradox though. The foundation of this paradox is laid when you are at home and have to sit down and eat a meal, yet the entertainment possibilities in the lives of your young people at that time (video games, T.V., friends outside) will call to them so relentlessly that it will be almost impossible to get them to sit still long enough to get nourishment into their bodies.

I’ve seen it happen at school, too, when I’ve gone to have lunch with them in their cafeteria. The prevailing philosophy there is, the more time I spend in here eating, the less time I have out on the playground trying to escape the wrath of the all-seeing, fun-hating, playground monitors. Because the whistling and getting pointed at and standing up against the wall just can’t get started soon enough.

But then if you put these very same little people in settings where the entertainment is supposed to be the main focus (concert, carnival, theater, zoo, whatever)---oh, well then it’s ALL about food. All the other stuff at the event is just window dressing for the snack bar.

And even if it’s the exact same food as you could have at home, it always seems to taste better if you’ve driven for hours and hours and made a payment the size of a home mortgage payment for an event you are currently avoiding.

I tell you what; my saving grace is that they have always at least eaten everything that they I've bought for them at these places. I’d weigh 8000 lbs if they didn’t, because I’m not about to fill any local dump with $15 hotdogs and $27 nachos that I’ve paid for.

But Sanctus Real was great---what I got to hear of them. That’s the other thing. Until a certain age they will invariably need to be taken home just as the thing you came to see, or have been waiting all day for, is happening. It typically occurs with either needing to fall asleep but can’t at current said event so become unbearably cranky, or throwing up, or both. This time it was just the sleep thing. Thank you God. As you see I’m not complaining. Given the options, even though I missed half the concert, I’m still counting my blessings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home